Winter, Day 24 - Foxpoint Farms
2:36 PM] Anja Degan (Annie):
—Begin thread request
Winter, Day 24, Midday
Anja felt worn out, far more than just her sleep deprivation had been causing. Whatever the chills that had been plaguing her were caused by, also left her with that creeping fatigue. A bone deep tired she couldn’t shake no matter how much sleep she tried to catch up on or how much coffee she tried to ingest. Not to even mention her worry regarding the curse. Last night had been the closest she had come to not making it home and she was starting to wonder if maybe she needed to stop going out. She told herself she would figure that out later. For now, she would simply deal with a body that longed for her bed as she climbed out of her Jeep at the Farm she was supposed to meet Ana at. Because if she was anything, it was stubborn and resilient, and she wasn’t going to let fatigue stop her from functioning.
The short brunette started towards the farm, unsure if Ana was here yet but it was too cold to wait in her car. She had opted for something warm and comfortable. A large black thick cardigan, completely done up to cover what was most likely another very thick knit sweater underneath, and an oversized scarf. She hoped Shiori and Ana didn’t take offense to her lackluster appearance. Not that this was supposed to be formal, she simply wanted to explain what had happened to result in her curse. But they both had looked so nice at the party. And she didn’t want Shiori’s first impression of her human form to be an exhausted mess. So she had done her makeup, simple but still done, and pulled her hair into a neat bun, despite her rather plain and comfy clothing.
And ever present was her necklace. The bloodstone pendant that she made sure sat on the outside of the cardigan. Just in case Ana was not here yet, so Shiori would recognize it from the party.
<d> @Shiori Okita (Nora)
January 27, 2021
[7:42 PM] Shiori Okita (Nora): Shiori sensed Anja's presence before she actually saw the woman, and the only reason she knew what Anja looked like as a human to begin with was thanks to the memories from Ana and Kuro's own sight of her.
So she was at least aware of who it was now on her property, though she couldn't recall anything about Anja coming out.
Well, it was fine anyway. She wanted - needed, in a way - to get to know the woman, and what better chance than this?
And so it was that she stepped out onto her porch, wearing a simple pair of hakama and a plain yukata. Anja had already seen Shiori, so while the glamour was still active for other mortals that might be around, the woman would see as the foxes and kitsune did: Shiori's full form, tails and all.
A fox went out to meet Anja - Egi, by the looks of it - to lead her up to the porch, where Shiori stood, arms folded in front of her and an amused smile on her lips. When the woman was close enough, she straightened. "Your visit is something of a surprise, Anja, but you are welcome here. What brings you to Foxpoint today?"
<d>
January 29, 2021
[1:07 PM] Anja Degan (Annie): When a brilliant orange fox she hadn’t met trotted up to the brunette, she smiled widely down at them. Crouching slowly, she greeted the vulpine with a gentle tone, still not fully aware how tame or divine the foxes around her might be.
“Hello there, Sußer. I suppose I should have expected to see a lot of you around, shouldn’t I?” She chuckled and glanced up to see Shiori standing on the porch. Anja blinked in surprise at seeing the Kami as she had at the party, past the glamour to the more fox-like figure beneath. But she recovered quickly with a warm smile directed at the deity, happy to meet with them in any form. She looked back down to Egi, “Let’s not keep Shiori waiting,” and let the orange fox lead her to the porch.
“Hello Shiori,” Anja was more relieved than anything that she didn’t need to reintroduce herself. “Sorry for the unannounced drop in. I asked Ana to meet me here so I could explain the whole crow thing and figured I could explain it to you both.” She laughed lightly, just a touch embarrassed that she had not been able to meet Shiori in her human form the first time.
Shiori seemed… important. Anja wasn’t sure if that word quite described the reverence other divine gave the Kami. But they certainly seemed, like Henry, someone she should try to treat with a high level of respect. “Foxpoint is lovely, even in winter.”
<d> @Shiori Okita (Nora)
[2:00 PM] Shiori Okita (Nora): Egi all-but frolicked around Anja's feet as they made their way to the farmhouse, sniffing her excitedly and sharing his discoveries with the skulk nearby... who then spread it onward, and onward, until the entire farm knew who Anja was. That she was who had been seen at their apple-friend's farm.
Shiori, this close, could be seen clearly, no waver of magical glamour at all to hide her from Anja's vision. She was wearing what looked to be a wrap skirt - red, and tied in the back in a fashion that allowed her tails to poke through comfortable - and a simple, white knit sweater to fend off the chill.
"I see. Ana hasn't yet arrived; I'm sure she'd intended to beat you here to let me know." The kami offered a small smile and gestured for the woman to join her on the porch, off to the side where thick planes of glass had been installed for something of a partial sun room. Shiro was by the seat that Shiori had been when Anja's presence had been detected. Nearby were Kaede and a handful of other orange-and-white foxes who were lazing about in the scattered sunlight.
The kami smiled broadly at the compliment, shrugging one shoulder. "I'm not the fondest of winter. I prefer when my farm is more alive. But thank you, all the same."
"You're welcome to take a seat, get comfortable. I was just about to take lunch. Would you care for some?" she offered, gesturing at the table and the chairs around it. notable for their oddly-shaped backs. "It's simple fare, I'm afraid, and tea. We usually take a heavier dinner here."
<d>
[2:00 PM] Shiori Okita (Nora): @Anja Degan (Annie)
[3:08 PM] Anja Degan (Annie): “I’m always either too early or too late.” Anja joked upon hearing the fact that she had beaten Ana here. Though it certainly was the truth in most cases. She took just a moment to note how strange, though not in an unpleasant way, it was to observe the Kami’s vulpine features in such a mundane setting. It served almost as a reminder of how accustomed Anja had gotten to all the strangeness around her, but even that thought didn’t unsettle her.
She couldn’t help the delighted smile as she took in the sight of so many foxes scattered about the sun room. Like the one she had met at the fair, they reminded her of growing up near the woods as a kid. Trying to sneak animals into the house past her father. Her attention shot to Shiori, a bit surprised at the offer, but warmed by it nonetheless.
“I would be happy to join you, if it isn’t too much trouble.” She didn’t want to impose, especially when she had shown up unannounced. The mechanic settled herself on one of the chairs before seeming to remember something suddenly. “Oh! Before I forget, there was a fox I met at the fair. A black one with a corn husk doll and one of your business cards. Did he make it home alright? There were a lot of people and with how fucked everything is I was worried.”
<d> @Shiori Okita (Nora)
[3:28 PM] Shiori Okita (Nora): "It's no trouble at all. Hospitality is something of a specialty of... well, where I come from just in general, honestly. I would bring shame to myself and my kin if I didn't offer you at least tea," she said with an amused smile, waiting until Anja had taken a seat before the kami resumed her own.
She set a plate down in front of the woman and gestured to the tea tower, filled with finger sandwiches, scones, and petit fours. "Please, help yourself. It's important to keep up your energy. I imagine you must be using a lot of it, with your nightly transformations." This was said quite matter-of-factly, as though she had experience with shapeshifting - willing or otherwise.
At Anja's question, Shiori tilted her head slightly. "Ah! You mean Kuro. Oh, yes, he's quite fine. One of my best followers. He is..." her gaze went unfocused for a brief second as she reached out along her tether to the fox in question "... he is next door, pretending he isn't worried about Ellis." At her feet, Shiro gave a soft vulpine laugh, a sentiment echoed by the other foxes in the immediate area. The black fox's temperament was well known and was found deeply amusing.
<d>
[3:28 PM] Shiori Okita (Nora): @Anja Degan (Annie)
[4:23 PM] Anja Degan (Annie): “Thank you very much.” Anja immediately went for a scone over the sandwiches, preferring sweets as she usually did. The mention of using energy brought a sharp grin to her face as she nodded. “Yeah, it’s been pretty exhausting, that’s for sure.” But she wasn’t one to complain, and began munching as Shiori spoke of the dark fox.
“Oh, that is good to hear. He seemed like a smart one but I was worried.” She sighed in relief, still smiling though at the chorus of chittering laughter from the foxes on the porch. “I am glad someone is able to check on him while he is sick. I don’t think Ellis is used to that sort of thing at all.” There was a considerable amount of worry that crossed her freckled features for a moment. The angel couldn’t have been doing well dealing with being sick, or with all that had happened at the party. Anja would have gone and checked on him herself had she not basically been forbidden from doing so at risk of her also getting sick.
<d> @Shiori Okita (Nora)
[9:42 PM] Shiori Okita (Nora): The kami watched, amused, as Anja went for a scone almost immediately, making a mental note. Just in case. "Transformation magics take a lot of energy, usually from the person being transformed."
"And I think you are correct. Ellis is not at all used to being ill, but nor does he seem particularly used to being cared for." Her lips curved into a slight frown. "I'm worried about him, but I'm sure Kuro will inform me if anything untoward occurs." She would not think about that possibility. Not at all.
"So, you said you wanted to explain the crow thing, yes? I am curious how that occurred, as until recently, from what I understand, you were just a mortal. Is that right? Ana... was not the most clear." Well, her memories hadn't been, at least, but Shiori wasn't about to say that.
<d> @Anja Degan (Annie)
January 30, 2021
[11:48 AM] Anja Degan (Annie): Anja nodded in agreement with Shiori’s assessment of the angel. Ellis certainly seemed like he was used to usually being the caretaker and never the recipient. She wondered if that was something in his natures as an angel or simply just a product of his relationships with the humans he had known. She was pulled from her musings by the reason she had come to the farm.
“Oh, right. Yes, I was- well am, mortal. I am a descendant though, a Frisian goddess, Norse.” She set the scone down and tucked a leg up underneath herself. Getting comfortable and settled in for what could be a bit of an explanation.
“I tried to contact her. She is dying, and I was looking for a way to help since I was told she was, rightfully, pissed.” A small smile quirked Anja’s lips as the oath that caused the original anger came to mind. “I tried a ritual and it worked but it didn’t quite go as planned. Chaos apples you don’t realize you have apparently do that.” She shrugged lightly with this last statement. A mix of the weariness and the normal nonchalant way she rolled with what got thrown at her in her posture and tone.
“So that resulted in the curse. I’m only a crow sunset to sunrise.” Well, I guess that didn’t take as long as I thought. She picked up the scone and took another bite as she waited for any questions.
<d> @Shiori Okita (Nora)(edited)
[3:58 PM] Shiori Okita (Nora): Shiori quirked an eyebrow at the use of present tense regarding the woman's mortality, but said nothing. Perhaps she was, in the same way that lower-ranked kitsune could be considered mortal. With divine heritage, though, Shiori would not consider Anja to be a normal human, regardless.
Divinity, after all, had its peculiarities.
"So, you tried a ritual whilst in possession of a chaos apple, and it went... fucky," she said with an amused, if wry, smile. "Do you have any idea the conditions to end or cancel the curse? What have you tried so far?"
The kami picked up the teapot and poured them each a cup, placing one in front of Anja. That done, she took one of the small sandwiches and began to eat, considering the woman before her. "I admit to be uncertain how Western curses work. There are many ways to dispel them within my own pantheons, but even with the rules changing, I am uncertain how well they might behave with such magics. I would need time to study it."
<d> @Anja Degan (Annie)
[6:45 PM] Anja Degan (Annie): Anja smiled in delight as the Kami swore, clearly more comfortable with relaxed language.
“Yes, very fucky.” She agreed, “And I did have someone take a look who was familiar with curses and....transformation? I think, anyway. The curse apparently wants me and it’s grabbing on as tightly as it can. She believed the only way to undo it would be a spirit quest or some sort of journey with my heritage.” Her tone became edged with frustration as she continued. “I just am not sure what I’m supposed to do in order to complete that.” She was about to bring up the muddy loophole, even opening her mouth before stopping. That was not an option she wanted to consider so she was hesitant to even mention it.
“Thank you,” The mechanic’s expression softened as she accepted the tea. Though, she was a bit surprised as Shiori seemed to immediately begin puzzling over ways to deal with the curse. Anja had just come to explain things. She hadn’t really expected help, or advice. Though, she guessed at this point she wouldn’t turn any down.
“Oh don’t go out of your way for my sake, but I would definitely hear any ideas or advice you can think of.” She gave a grateful smile. And it might be apparent to the Kami based on her tone that, like Ellis, Anja was not someone accustomed to being on the receiving end of help.
<d> @Shiori Okita (Nora)
[9:46 PM] Shiori Okita (Nora): Shiori nodded thoughtfully, taking a sip of her tea as she considered the problem at hand. "There are likely many potential paths for breaking this, it's only a matter of figuring out which is the right one." If she had time. "I'm not familiar with spirit quests, not in the same way I think you're meaning. Have you spoken with anyone who is?" Her thoughts immediately went to Coyote, certain he would have a better grasp over that sort of thing than herself.
"Journeying to ancestors, though... that I am more familiar with. Although the ancestors don't tend to wander too far from their homes, at least in Japan."
She waved her hand, giving a soft snort. "It's no trouble at all, really. I've a feeling Ana would have asked on your behalf. She seems quite fond of you, doubtless she would have reached out."
The kami's eyes strayed briefly to where she knew the string led from the maybe-mortal to the definitely-divine, managing to bite back her frown. There was nothing Shiori could do, really, with that tether present. Nothing she was willing to risk, at least, as she had no idea what a divinely-imbued bond would accept. Would her attempts only make things worse? Fail entirely?
She didn't know, and she was really not fond of not knowing. "It seems like you have a fair lead, at least, but I'm happy to help you brainstorm potential other methods. Just... don't include another chaos apple."
<d> @Anja Degan (Annie)
[10:58 PM] Anja Degan (Annie): “Not yet, that is a good idea though. I suppose I could reach out to the few divine I know in the area.” She continued for a moment, as she sort of thought out loud to herself.
“Though I suppose they are all quite busy with everything that’s been happening and now with the sickness. But maybe one of the Norse divine in the area may know as well.“Anja paused, wondering who she should go to. Eden’s ritual had done the trick last time, but she didn’t know if she should do the same one twice. She shook her head a bit, coming out of her thoughts and taking a drink of tea, hoping it was the kind that contained caffeine. If she was tired enough to ramble, she could certainly use it. A pleasant smile lit up her face at the mention of Ana and she gave a light laugh.
“Yeah, Ana was a big help when I was first exposed to everything. Offered to help me figure out my heritage as well when I didn’t know but I beat her to the punch on that one.” Anja hoped she would be able to thank the other Kami for all the help she had already given. And the offer of help she had extended.
“Thank you, I appreciate that. And no worries,” she gave another small chuckle. “I don’t plan on ingesting anymore golden apples.”
<d> @Shiori Okita (Nora)
January 31, 2021
[2:14 AM] Shiori Okita (Nora): "There were quite a few divines at the... party," replied the kami. "I'm certain there would be some willing to lend their assistance." She paused and took a careful sip of her tea - a completely different type than what Anja was drinking, despite being poured from the same pot. "While it's true that many of us are busy with one thing or another, that would have largely been true even before... all of this."
Shiori gave a soft sigh, shaking her head. "The disease is bad enough, but then there are the others to deal with." Not to mention the suspected Hosogami. "Still, a curse is an important matter to deal with, as well."
There was a long pause as she ate another small sandwich, mulling over her thoughts, before she looked up. "What has your... gentleman friend suggested you do?" she asked, lips twitching. "Surely he has something in mind."
It would be more surprising if he didn't, but perhaps he was lost as to ways to deal with it that would not make matters worse. She thought again about the string she had seen, and in the thinking, it shimmered into her view, more easily now that she knew it was there. It looked... stronger than before. Dangerously so.
If this kept up, perhaps Shiori would need to find Seth and speak with him. Carefully, lest the discussion trigger a full binding.
<d> @Anja Degan (Annie)
[8:00 AM] Anja Degan (Annie): Anja nodded along with Shiori’s assessment of how willing others would be to help. The mechanic didn’t doubt that there were those, like Ana, who would be willing to lend their assistance. But she was still reluctant to ask, or approach anyone, in the middle of all this. What’s one mortal with a curse compared to the whole freaking apocalypse?
A sharp smile instantly split her lips and a little color came to her cheeks at the mention of her ”gentleman friend”, as Shiori put it. Anja didn’t see much point in being circumspect after the way they had acted at the party.
“I think he is more focused on being worried I don’t get myself hurt in that form or something.” She huffed a small, humorless laugh, before continuing, “Seth knows about the spirit quest thing. That seems to be his choice too. He knows I’m not even going to—“ She sighed, figuring she might as well explain the loophole. Placing her teacup down, she rubbed the back of her neck, clearly agitated as she continued.
“There is a possible loophole. But I am not going to pursue it. It is muddy and requires the willing sacrifice of life and that’s not something I’ll stand for.” Not on my behalf. I think I would rather loose myself to the crow than that.
<d> @Shiori Okita (Nora)(edited)
[10:18 AM] Shiori Okita (Nora): Shiori did not fail to see the blush; she did, however, fail to comment on it, as with many things of that nature. Pretending not to notice a person's embarrassment was a skill, and she had grown quite good at it.
But she did listen as Anja spoke, nodding slightly. "I would be worried if one of my own was caught up in a magic like that. I can understand his concern." To be caught in a transformation you had no control over... it made even Shiori's skin crawl.
She would have said more, except that Anja continued, explaining a loophole... and at that point, every inch of the kami froze in shock.
It took her several long moments to recover, very carefully placing her teacup down. "Sacrifice... is unthinkable," she finally replied, firmly. "I accept offerings. Effigies made of paper. Incense burned and prayed over. Bowls of rice grains or other food left at my shrines. But to spill blood, willing or otherwise..."
The kami's lips twisted in distaste. Oh, it had happened before, extremely rare things. Willing, certainly. Not everything meant giving up life. Some sacrifices were merely the giving of something precious. A memory. Mortality; the twins had done that, fueling the magic for their conversion even as Inari had plucked pieces of herself to give them. Not all willing sacrifice had to be paid in blood, and she greatly preferred the ones that didn't.
"No, I approve of the refusal, though from the way you are saying it, it seems he perhaps does not. I hope you are able to partake of this spirit quest, or to see your ancestor, and remove it that way."
<d> @Anja Degan (Annie)
[1:51 PM] Anja Degan (Annie): Anja made a mental note to not mention some of the more bloodthirsty ways of those early Norse. Shiori didn’t seem comfortable with the idea of sacrifice for gods. But blood- be it those of enemy generals sacrificed by the pagan Norse after they surrendered in battle; or the life of a warrior willingly given in ritual so their soul could accompany a recently passed Jarl on their passage to the afterlife- blood and sacrifice had always fed those old Norse gods.
“I think he’s okay with me not considering that option. I just think he’s used to that sort of thing being an option when it comes to curses. Sacrifice is viewed differently in other pantheons.” She put simply, no hint of malice in her voice. I just don’t want anyone doing it for me.
“But uh, yeah thank you, me too. I’ll have to start looking for more information on spirit quests. At least now, I have direction in that sense. “
She glanced around to the various foxes littering about the porch. Anja had not missed the way that Shiori had said ’if one of my own was caught up in a magic like that.’ or the fondness they seemingly held for the vulpine group around them.
“Have you and yours have been doing alright with everything happening?” Ellis seemed fond of Shiori. That alone would have been enough to make Anja ask after their well being. But Ana’s obvious connection to them, and the fact they been immediately ready to offer guidance and advice, made the Norse descendant genuinely hope the answer was that the Kami and their shulk had avoided the worst of the corn fuckery.
<d> @Shiori Okita (Nora)
[2:03 PM] Shiori Okita (Nora): "I'm not unfamiliar with the concept, but I place a high value on life. Even in Japan, warriors commited seppuku to maintain their honor should they fall to defeat. It is just another form of sacrifice. Appeasement of the ancestors," she said, dryly. "And yet I still find it terrible."
But she nodded, appeased that Anja, at least, was not looking to take that option. The fact that Seth was not pressuring the woman to do so raised him a notch or two in her opinion. Not that she disliked him; far from it, but storm gods, gods of chaos... they were difficult to deal with on the best of days.
"Oh, thank you for asking," she said with a warm smile. "We have been well thus far. The kin know to stay away from the corn, thanks to Buck's... rather constant reminders that it's dangerous." This was said with a broader and clearly fond grin. "And after what I saw myself, I have reinforced the order. None are to go near Mistwood. Beyond that, we mostly keep to ourselves here, anyway."
She leveled a look at the woman, frowning slightly at her. "And what about yourself? How are you faring, Anja? Beyond the curse, of course."
<d> @Anja Degan (Annie)
[2:26 PM] Anja Degan (Annie): Anja smiled, both with relief that Shiori and the group at the farm were alright and at the clear fondness for Coyote/Buck. To know that Shiori, and whoever they considered kin, was staying away from Mistwood was a relief as well.
“I’ve been able to avoid any of the Mistwood shit thankfully. I mean, I Hades did show me what it was during the fair, but I didn’t go into the corn because of that.” She took another drink of her tea, letting it warm her before continuing. “But like Coyote said he smelled, I haven’t been sick. Just fucking tired from this curse.” She laughed, trying to make light of the last statement, despite the truth of it.
<d> @Shiori Okita (Nora)(edited)
[2:33 PM] Shiori Okita (Nora): The kami nodded, giving a relieved smile. "That is good to know, on all counts. I do hope you are able to break the curse soon, if only so you can get some proper rest. It's one thing to transform by your own will, but to be forced into it... I can't really imagine that." She knew what it was like to be stuck, to be unable to transform, but to be forced? No. Nor would she have wished - or cursed - that upon anyone.
"I'm afraid I can't sit and chat for much longer. While winter is slower on the farm, there are still things to be done in preparation for spring. But do feel free to stay and rest a while. Eat," this was said with a stern tone, a hint of the commanding presence Shiori was capable of but rarely exerted. "The foxes will be happy to keep you company, just do try not to over-indulge should they beg for snacks."
"It is a pity Ana could not make it. I'll have to send someone to check on her and make sure she's okay."
<d> @Anja Degan (Annie)
[2:55 PM] Anja Degan (Annie): Anja smiled warmly at Shiori’s well wishes. Though that faltered slightly as the Kami mentioned things needing to be done. The mechanic would have insisted she could leave, if not for the stern tone underlying Shiori’s words. A scarred eyebrow shot up at it and Anja couldn’t help the sharp grin on her face. She certainly understood why Ellis was fond of Shiori.
“I promise to withhold snacks but I make no such promises to withhold pets. Oh, unless-“ She knew Spot was alright with pets, but Kuro...’ “—unless they don’t like pets or that’s disrespectful or something. I’ve not met many uh, foxes and Kuro only let me pet him on the head quick so I wasn’t sure.”
<d> @Shiori Okita (Nora)
[3:02 PM] Shiori Okita (Nora): "Kuro is an exception. He acts as though he likes not a single person in the entire world save myself. Ignore him, he's just like that. The rest of them quite adore being pet and spoiled. Egi will gorge himself if you aren't careful," she added, pointing to the offending fox. "But the rest know their limits. Usually."
The kami stood, carefully extricating her tails from the chair back. "Send one of them along to me when you're ready to leave, and we'll see you out." She gave Anja a smile and a short bow before turning. "Eat. Drink. Don't worry about running out, there is plenty. I do recommend the sandwiches. You'll find them pleasantly sweet, I believe."
And with that, the kami stepped off the porch, leaving Anja to it.
<d> @Anja Degan (Annie)
[3:27 PM] Anja Degan (Annie): Anja smiled at the fox that had greeted her when she arrived and nodded as the Kami bowed. “Thank you, Shiori.”
When Anja was left on the porch, she snagged two of the finger sandwiches before moving off her chair to sit cross legged on floor. A clear invite to the foxes, especially as she extended her free hand for pets. She took a bite, and was not surprised that Shiori had been right, though she merely assumed the Kami also preferred sweet things.
Fade Scene
Comments
Post a Comment