Winter, Day 2 - Antium

[5:27 PM] Shiori Okita (Nora):

Shiori's truck rumbled to a stop in the parking space nearest the small pagoda, grateful to see that it was unoccupied. A larger pavilion had what looked to be a birthday party ongoing, but the rest of the park's visitors seemed to be engaged in walking, or running, or playing with their dogs.


When they climbed down from the cab, a quartet of foxes followed, swarming around the kami's legs like a sea of fluff. One of them stopped when he noticed the dogs, looking up at Shiori questioningly, but they shook their head. "Don't go causing trouble, darling," they murmured, turning to dig through the truck cab for their bag of supplies.


"Besides, don't you want to see Ellis?" they asked with a small smile. "I know you're over at his orchard a lot."


The fox - a silvery black ball of fluff - huffed and looked away, but his white-tipped tail gave the faintest wag, betraying him. The kami's smile broadened, but they chose not to say anything, instead gathering their things and shutting the door, heading over to the pagoda. "I think we're a little early, but that's all right," they said, setting the bag down on the lone table and selecting a bench that would let them see the parking lot.


"We'll just get settled in to wait." As soon as they sat down, a pure white fox climbed into their lap, settling in with a contented sigh and eliciting a soft snort from Shiori. "Cuddle monster," they accused affectionately, ruffling the fur between the vixen's ears.


<d> @Ellis Hanoch (CC)

[5:42 PM] Ellis Hanoch (CC): The fall season had ended with a bang, and honestly, Ellis needed a bit of a breather. 


Of course, for a creature as devoted to duty as an angel, “a breather” most likely just meant “more work but in pleasant company,” so here he was, driving to Antium to meet Shiori for their first origami class. Ellis had met a variety of supernatural beings since he arrived in the tri-city area, but Shiori was probably the calmest and most collected of all of them. And the one least likely to spend the entirety of a conversation dunking on him at every given opportunity.


Besides, they’d opened up their own farm to visitors, and had a mobile set of fluffy intel gatherers at their disposal. Maybe they’d heard something. The angel definitely intended to let them know what little he’d discovered, if he knew anything they didn’t. Ellis arrived not long after Shiori in his own truck, waving a greeting as soon as he was out of the cab. “Good afternoon,” he said, drawing up to the pagoda, “to everyone, of course.” He nodded to Shiori and then to the fox entourage that had accompanied them. 


He took a seat and heaved a short sigh, letting the tension leave him as he did. “It’s good to see you again! It’s been an eventful…” Ellis paused, blinking. “Has it been a month already? Goodness. Sorry I didn’t make it out to Foxpoint for the festival, by the way. I heard it was quite the place to be!”


<d> @Shiori Okita (Nora)

[5:55 PM] Shiori Okita (Nora): They looked up at the sound of the truck, biting back a smile when Kuro joined Kaede and Egi to greet Ellis. Shiro only lifted her head, but she'd already gotten comfortable in the kami's lap and didn't want to move. "A month already. We were both busy with the festival, so no apologies are needed."


They smiled as he took seat across from them. "I'd have stood to greet you, but someone is very pleased with herself and would be upset if I'd disrupted her." This was said in a mock stern tone, but Shiro only gave a soft, pleased yip in response.


The remaining trio of foxes arranged themselves between Shiori and Ellis, with Kuro closest to the angel, though he faced away and had taken a sour look on his face. 


Shiori spent a moment pulling various paper squares out of their bag: ones with shining foil, or embossed prints; colorful pieces in a variety of patterns; solid sheets. There was a bit of a breeze, and they frowned, rummaging for something to weigh the stacks down in an effort to prevent them from blowing away. "You said you'd never done origami at all?" they asked, neatening one of the stacks just so.


<d> @Ellis Hanoch (CC)

[11:52 PM] Ellis Hanoch (CC): ”Completely understandable,” Ellis replied, putting a hand briefly over his heart, “I’d do the same, in your stead. Fox-sitting duty is very important.” Especially when the foxes were the ones doing the sitting.


He sat, checking once he was seated to make sure his legs weren’t in the way of the foxes being comfortable, and then sat up, attentively watching Shiori set everything up. “I have not! I’ve heard of it, of course, but I’ve never really gotten into artistic hobbies. That is, unless you consider amateur radio an art.” Ellis looked up. “Though I gather the craft is more important than just a hobby? Or, it can be?”


<d> @Shiori Okita (Nora)

[8:15 AM] Shiori Okita (Nora): They nodded, pleased that he knew at least that origami was not solely artistic in nature. "It is a hobby for many, of course. Some of the older practices have died out over the centuries, of course, but others have persisted." They pulled out a plain sheet of paper, sliding it in front of him. "Senbazuru, one thousand cranes folded by a person - or a group, in some cases, is how one sought a large wish from a kami." They grinned at that, flashing sharp teeth. "It is a task of patience that is rewarded. There are also stars - typically kept in a jar - that are imbued with luck and given as gifts to loved ones."

 

Shiori's smile returned to a gentle curve. "We won't be doing anything so tedious today, but... the crane is always a fair starting point." They took a sheet of their own from the pile, motioning for him to watch, and began the first fold. "It is called orizuru, and still holds much symbolism alone. The wings of a crane carry souls to paradise... a concept I feel you might be somewhat familiar with." The sheet was folded in half, corner to corner, and they showed him. "We begin by halving the paper, like this."


<d> @Ellis Hanoch (CC)

[6:19 PM] Ellis Hanoch (CC): Ellis finished pulling the piece of paper towards him, his expression fading into something more studious, more serious, as if he were expecting to embark on some grand and complicated venture. He looked up just in time to see Shiori’s sharp-toothed smile, though, and was unable to resist offering a much gentler one in return. “Very elegant, if you ask me,” he said, “an act of supplication that makes something beautiful in the process.” 


The term “supplication” might have been a touch harsher than Shiori was implying, but Ellis had some very deeply-ingrained ideas about general religious dynamics. It wasn’t meant disrespectfully. “Orizuru,” he said carefully, committing the name to memory, “right.” He glanced up at Shiori’s work and began to follow suit, speaking as he arranged the paper. “Shiori, do you mind if I ask--have you noticed some… strange goings-on?”


Ellis finished his first fold and looked back up. “Because I definitely have.”


<d> @Shiori Okita (Nora)

[11:30 PM] Shiori Okita (Nora): "Hm." They looked up at him, frowning slightly. "Supplication is not quite the word I would use, personally. They are offerings, to be sure, ones that ask for our attention. We can grant what's requested, to some degree or another."


They sighed at his question, but offered a tiny smile so that he would know it wasn't aimed at him. "I suppose you might need to define 'strange', Ellis," they replied calmly, tapping their fingers on the table beside him. "Use your thumbnail to crease the fold. It will make it crisper." They demonstrated this with their own nail, aware his focus might allow him to see that what Shiori had was not nails, but claws, thick and long and dark, like those of the foxes dozing around them.


"What is strange to you might not be so strange to me," they added thoughtfully.


<d> @Ellis Hanoch (CC)

[6:47 PM] Ellis Hanoch (CC): “Hm? Oh, yes. Right.” Ellis looked back down at the table, cocking a brow as he noticed the claw, but not letting the sight distract him from the technique. Nodding, he followed suit. “Well. You’re not the last deity I ran into, far from it. I’ve noticed a pretty big concentration of supernatural beings and affected humans, all of them here, right now.”


He looked back up. Shiori definitely did have a point in regards to their relative perspectives on what was and wasn’t strange; the vast majority of supernatural individuals he’d met had been part of polytheistic faiths, to start. Ellis realized he didn’t really have a good grasp on how gods were supposed to interact with one another in a pantheon, much less between them. “I don’t know if it’s different for deities, like yourself? If you can attract one another, in some way?"


<d> @Shiori Okita (Nora)

[6:51 PM] Shiori Okita (Nora): "Next, fold like this," they said, showing him the progression. The beginnings of a crane were always the easiest, almost lulling one into complacency. Better to let him be distracted now than further along.


"It's possible to... draw in others from a pantheon, or who are... similar enough," they mused, considering how Coyote had swept into their farm. "I've met a few other divines, myself. Mortals with divine blood, I think, and actual deities. One I would consider... near-kin, I suppose." They tapped their fingertips on the table thoughtfully. "But he did tell me that there was a higher concentration than there should be, and that I would definitely consider unusual."


<d> @Ellis Hanoch (CC)

[8:27 PM] Ellis Hanoch (CC): It wasn’t terribly difficult to draw Ellis’s attention back to the task at hand, despite his worries tugging him away. He was hardwired to take instructions, after all. He paused long enough to attend to the next fold, and then, after being sure to press the crease with his thumbnail, nodded and looked back up. 


“I see. It did strike me as odd, but I wasn’t sure if it was just that I was a little more isolated than other supernatural creatures. I’ve met very, very few since I first came here--or, at least, knowingly.” Deities that didn’t want to be found could likely relatively easily conceal themselves, and with some gifted mortals, their divine-touched nature wasn’t evident until they began to use their natural abilities. 


“I talked to someone who seemed to think something very bad is happening around here, too, centered on the cornfield on Mistwood Acres, and since then I’ve heard similar things from others. Has anyone come to you about this?”


<d> @Shiori Okita (Nora)

[8:38 PM] Shiori Okita (Nora): They nodded, demonstrating the next fold for him as they spoke. "A... local deity came to the farm during the festival. We spoke in depth about the corn, among other things, and that it should be avoided." A pause as they considered their next words carefully. "I likened it to yokai forests where I am from. Places of chaos. Not strictly evil, but not... good, either. They are not places for the mortal... they are barely places for people like us."


Their lips curved downward into a frown. In their lap, Shiro stirred, lifting her head to give Shiori's chin a comforting lick. "I've received reports from... those that I trust on the situation as well. It does not seem... good." Understatement of the week. Maybe even the month, though of all people, they knew better than to wish for things that could be... twisted.


They waited until he had completed the fold before showing him the next. "I am not sure with whom you spoke, but I agree with the one who came to me. Yokai forests are dangerous places. I've long heard stories about corn fields," and they gave him a wry grin at this. "I wasn't sure if they were... ah... urban legends? But there is usually some hint of truth even in those. And if nothing else, this corn field may be the origin of such tales."


<d> @Ellis Hanoch (CC)

[8:51 PM] Ellis Hanoch (CC): “Glad to hear our sources are telling us the same things,” Ellis replied with a small, nervous smile, “because I’ve been told the same. Dangerous for deities, humans, and everyone in between, apparently.” Chaotic beings, neither strictly good nor evil--well, that certainly sounded familiar, didn’t it? 


“I spoke with a handful of people. Honestly, I need to see if most of them would be amenable to meeting with each other. I think putting our collective heads on this might be a good idea. Even if there are… challenges, to collaboration.” Involving multiple pantheons would inevitably result in some friction. Ellis had already experienced quite a bit of it from just involving himself. “But… I don’t know. It might be best to be on the same page?”


He fell contemplatively silent as he focused on his next fold. Ideas were all fine, well, and good, but Ellis lacked both the initiative to put such things into motion and the authority. Maybe it was still worth trying… “One question, though,” he went on, once he’d finished the fold, “what’s a yokai forest?” A pause. “Or a yokai…?”


<d> @Shiori Okita (Nora)

[9:13 PM] Shiori Okita (Nora): "Challenges is... a way to put it. Some of us play better with others," they murmured. "Some of us had to learn how in some very... odd turns of events." Shiori, for example, having been rather oddly brought into Buddhism and elevated to Bodhisattva, causing them to straddle the line between two different-yet-similar pantheons.


And that wasn't even considering their 3 and 5 aspects, the versions of themselves that contained other kami, both a part of them and not.


Sometimes, life was complicated.


Ellis' question had them smiling, though, amused at him and also themself for not thinking to explain what they'd meant. "Yokai are... spirits? They can be many things. A ball of fire... a sword... a creature with far too great a love for azuki beans," and they did grin there. Those particular yokai were many, and ranged from good to evil to everything in between. "Yokai forests are where creatures like this inhabit. They are not places meant for mortals, though yokai do stray out of them from time to time."


They showed him the next crease and sighed softly. "Some mistakenly translate the term as demon, but that's quite inaccurate, from what I have read about 'demons'. Spirit is a better term. A bit... generalized, but it works. They can be benevolent, malevolent, benign..." One shoulder lifted into a slight shrug. "But the core of the issue is that they live where only yokai should."


<d> @Ellis Hanoch (CC)

[9:26 PM] Ellis Hanoch (CC): Ellis nodded in understanding. Even though he was a creature very firmly aware of his identity, his place, and his duty, he understood what it meant to live a complicated existence. Perhaps not on the uniquely personal level that Shiori did, but the sheer number of sects human beings divided themselves into for the purpose of worshipping his creator was dizzying. 


He couldn’t help but return Shiori’s grin, at first, quite charmed by the initial description. The smile faltered, though, as they said “demon”--just the word sent an unpleasant shock of distress through Ellis, but he was still listening closely enough to hear the rest of the explanation and soothe away any ruffled feathers. “I see,” he said at first, but rather than immediately reply, he focused on his origami for a moment. 


“Sounds almost like us,” he finally said. After a moment, he clarified, “I mean, my kind. The spirits in my pantheon. Some of us are good, some are not. If the texts I’ve read on the subject are true, some are in between, though I’ve never met any.” The Lemegeton, the collection of books with which Ellis had been summoned to Earth in the first place, listed at least two “good” demons in its Ars Goetia volume, though Ellis was quietly sort of skeptical of that claim. He hoped it was true, though.


There were likely many differences, but the key one seemed to be that yokai had an attachment to the Earth, while angels and their kin were alien to it. Honestly, it was fascinating. “Do you think yokai could be a part of this? Or is it just a useful analogy…?”


<d> @Shiori Okita (Nora)

[1:51 PM] Shiori Okita (Nora): "I don't doubt that there is some amount of similarity between many pantheons," hazarded Shiori. "Humans tend to have a broadly similar mindset, after all." They hummed thoughtfully, creasing their own paper with an expert swipe of their thumbnail. "I do not think this is yokai, not exactly. It would have been recognized if it were. But it was a good analogy, I thought."


"The core of the matter is that there exists a place here that is not suitable for mortals. That is really not even suitable for divines..." They sighed, lifting one shoulder in a shrug. "I am unsure what to do with this knowledge, at least for the time being. Increase protections on the farm, keep the kin safe." They nodded down to the white fox in their lap, their gaze encompassing the other three.


"The majority of the foxes on the farm are only that. Foxes. Wild children who wouldn't have survived had I not taken them in, or the children of such. Older foxes making space for the young. My farm is a refuge and a rescue for them." The unspoken was that some were special. They might have begun their lives as normal foxes, but they had either surpassed and transcended that, as Shiro and Kuro had done, or were on their way to becoming.


Shiori paused in their folding, waiting for Ellis to catch up before continuing on with the next. "Don't go into the corn, I was told. And I have every intention of listening to that advice."


<d> @Ellis Hanoch (CC)

[8:14 PM] Ellis Hanoch (CC): Ellis listened, his hands stilling as Shiori spoke. When they were done, he nodded firmly. “That’s what I’ve heard, as well. I’ve no intention of going into the field either, at least not unless I have to.” He leaned back just enough to look at the foxes under the table. “And I’ll wager you all will be doing the same.” It felt appropriate to include them in the conversation, really. 


“I think focusing on making sure your safe haven is safe is a good move,” Ellis said with a nod, “I’m sort of passively doing the same every day, myself.” He couldn’t work magic like a human (well, presumably not; he’d never tried) so his ability to ward more or less relied on how hallowed the hallowed ground he stayed on was. The longer he lived on Spireno Farms, the more sacred the land would become. 


Hopefully it would be enough. “I’ll be sure to let you know what I know, if I learn anything. If I can’t see you, I can leave a message in the fox box, probably.” Ellis looked back down at his paper, reaching up to begin to work again before he realized he’d utterly lost his place. He squinted at his work, then at Shiori’s. “...I’m so sorry, I think I got. Too sidetracked, there,” he said, offering them a sheepish, apologetic smile. 


<d> @Shiori Okita (Nora)

[8:17 PM] Shiori Okita (Nora): "The kin have been informed. Everyone on the farm now knows to stay away from the corn. I've warned kin in the wild lands, too. Hopefully they are able to spread the information."


They had already begun placing ofuda around the perimeter of Foxpoint, an addition to the wards they had put in place when they'd first purchased the farmland. Coyote had warned that the thing was growing stronger. Shiori therefor would do what they could. Until then... they would continue trying to keep their children safe.


"I will keep you informed, as well, as best as I can." They hummed softly. "I believe another of my own pantheon is here. She was seen, and a message delivered, but we have not yet crossed paths. It's been a long time since I have spoken with another kami."


They glanced down at his paper; he had definitely missed a step. "That's fine. You are still learning." They slipped out a fresh sheet and handed it to him, finishing their crane with quick, practiced folds, setting it aside and pulling out a fresh sheet of their own to walk him through the steps once more.


<d> @Ellis Hanoch (CC)

[8:44 PM] Ellis Hanoch (CC): Ellis waited, staring at his half-finished project while Shiori re-caught up with him. His gaze drifted over to the finished crane, mulling over what they’d described: folding cranes to make a wish to a god. Or, well, no, kami. They used that word specifically. That’s probably specifically. Sitting there, an uncharacteristically selfish impulse lanced though him from seemingly nowhere. He wished, just for once, that he could communicate directly with his Creator. It would have made facing the uncertainty of the trouble that he felt was yet to come so much easier. 


But it being easy isn’t the point, is it? He perked up, drawn out of his thoughts by the full realization of what Shiori had just said. “Someone else from your pantheon? That’s great! Or. Well… I hope so.” Ellis supposed such a meeting could go badly, and if another kami had come here, surely it was because they’d been drawn to the same trouble as everyone else. Hopefully they weren’t in any danger. 


He gathered his scattered thoughts, drew in a deep breath, and composed himself, aiming to at least capture a small fraction of Shiori’s poise. “I hope it goes well. And let me know if there’s anything at all I can help you with, in that regard.” He didn’t really think Shiori would need help finding one of their own, but still. It didn’t hurt to offer. 


“And I promise I am paying attention this time,” he added, the modicum of poise he’d managed melting back into vague embarrassment once more.


<d> @Shiori Okita (Nora)

[9:29 PM] Shiori Okita (Nora): Shiori's fingers twitched slightly as they worked, a reaction to an unspoken wish. They didn't know what it was Ellis was wishing for, not exactly, but wishes had a magic of their own, a desire to be heard by those who could listen. And Shiori could definitely listen. Whatever it was he was wishing for, however... it wasn't a little wish, one they could grant on a whim.


It would need the magic of a thousand cranes, but they didn't tell him that. After all, it negated the intent if he knew the truth. If it was something he wanted enough, perhaps he would think to try.


"I am hoping that the meeting goes well. I suspect who it is, though I can't be sure. Not yet. If I'm right, I believe it will be... interesting. Though not unpleasant." They didn't voice the danger inherent in meeting with an aspect of their other self; that was far too complicated a subject to delve into, even if they had told him who they really were.


It was easier that way, sometimes. "It's quite all right. We'll start from the beginning. Easy enough, and practice is the only way to learn, after all. Make the first fold like this, and crease with your nail to make it crisp," they said gently, showing him the beginning of the crane once more.


<d> @Ellis Hanoch (CC)

[11:31 PM] Ellis Hanoch (CC): Ellis hadn’t been actively concentrating on trying to work any sort of actual charm, so he would have been a little surprised if he’d known that Shiori could feel his unspoken desire. The next instant he would likely have realized that taking origami lessons with a kami was an undertaking likely to have a variety of side effects he might consider unusual. 


He frowned. “Hm. On a similar note, I haven’t seen any more of my kind around here. I mean, I didn’t come here on a whim, it was circumstance that brought me here, but I assume the same force that’s pulling gods into the area would also work on angels.” Maybe there were just too few, scattered too far, to feel the pull? “I’ll let you know if that changes. I know some of my betters can be…” 


A significant pause fell over Ellis’s internal struggle to be diplomatic. Some of the higher-ranked angels were perfectly pleasant to work with, and some of them... 


“Difficult to work with,” he finally said. Smite-happy would likely have been a more truthful response. “Okay. Okay, focused. I’m focused now.” He returned his full attention to the project, watching Shiori and following the motions. Now that some of his anxieties had at least been addressed, Ellis was beginning to sink back into a more natural state of listening and following directions, and this time he was able to keep up as they worked their way back through the folds.


<d> @Shiori Okita (Nora)

[2:21 PM] Shiori Okita (Nora): The kami gave an indelicate snort. Difficult to work with, indeed. They had witnessed first-hand what Ellis' pantheon was capable of, had watched as Shinto was cast aside bit by bit, though it had steadied over the years, and in fact some practiced Shinto alongside Christianity. It was... odd, for them to witness this, but if it meant that people did not forget the kami like themselves...


Shiori bit back a sigh. "Whatever is pulling us here, I imagine it must be grasping out at random. I admit I am not fond of the thought of what reason there might be behind it. But, yes, let us continue."


They walked him through the steps once again, happy to remain in relative silence as they caught him up to where he'd lost his place before. "It's good practice to string the cranes together, if one's intent is to make a thousand of them. Where I am from, there is a long of symbolism behind strings. Red strings tied to pinkies, for instance, are the red strings of fate that bind people together. Soulmates, if you will. There are some kami who can see them quite clearly. We thus believe that stringing the cranes together - binding them, if you will - combined their power for the magic of large wishes."


<d> @Ellis Hanoch (CC)

[8:12 PM] Ellis Hanoch (CC): Ellis didn’t say anything, but Shiori’s snort didn’t go unnoticed, and he could guess the sentiment behind it. It was fair enough. He said nothing to challenge or commiserate with Shiori’s feelings, instead rather passively falling quiet and waiting for them to take the conversation where they wanted it to go. They steered it away from the subject, moving onto broader matters, and Ellis was a little surprised by how relieved that made him. 


He knew he was sort of at odds with these other deities by sheer virtue of being what he was, and Ellis couldn’t even rightly say they were wrong for feeling that way… but they continued to tolerate him. Maybe even more than tolerate him. It left him feeling curiously humbled, but not in an unpleasant way. He could only hope the others might still feel that way once the danger had passed.


These were the thoughts that occupied his mind as he finally fell quiet and focused more intently on his folding, as well. A slow smile broke over his features as Shiori described the stringing of cranes, and the red thread of fate. “I think that sounds beautiful. Well, all of it, really, but especially the red string connecting soulmates.” Ellis tilted his head, dark eyes widening slightly in sudden curiosity.  “Have you ever seen them before?”


<d> @Shiori Okita (Nora)

[8:20 PM] Shiori Okita (Nora): "Have I seen... oh, the red threads?" Shiori fell silent a moment, thinking over the question. "I'm not the one who strings them together, so I don't see them all the time. But... sometimes." They gave him a slight smile. "Even kami can be strung together."


But not them. They flicked their gaze briefly toward their own little finger, knowing without seeing that the thread tied around it ended abruptly. It frayed, they remembered, a sign of their split selves.


Omiyanome had a thread that led her to Sarutahiko. Shiori knew that, had seen it before, once upon a time. It was a fuzzy memory, and they could not recall if it was as one of their aspects that they had seen this, or as themself, as the principal Inari.


"Ah, but it takes much effort for me to see the red strings. I can do so mostly only if I need to. I suppose I could string souls together, too." If they wished grandly enough, that was. If two compatible souls made a grand wish... then perhaps. But that had not happened in a long time. No, grand wishes were not often 'wasted' on the intertwining of souls. A pity, really.

[8:20 PM] Shiori Okita (Nora): "I see other things, though. The fate-stringers can't see what I see, any more than I can see what they do. We all have our purposes, to varying degrees. Great kami like Amaterasu, or kami like myself, or even lesser ones like Hōsōgami, the kami of smallpox... used now for epidemics in general, I believe. The Black Plague, for example, would be a type of Hōsōgami. Or even Kawaya no Kami, the kami of..." and they paused here to laugh softly. "Bodily wastes. Primarily. They are not a singular kami, like me, but... hm... demons? Of a sort? Lesser kami; the name is not a name for a singular being, but for their entire type. Ah, I mentioned yokai earlier? We are all of us a type of yokai."


They paused and showed him the next step in the folds. "I realize that may not have cleared anything up at all. I apologize; the structure of Shinto is... complex and vast. Even for those of us who exist within it."


<d> @Ellis Hanoch (CC)

[10:18 PM] Ellis Hanoch (CC): Even kami can be strung together. Ellis mulled over this revelation with interest. He’d assumed that both humans and gods could, but kami, as Shiori had described them to him, seemed more like his kind. Well, clearly, they must have a soul, if they can have some kind of fate-ordained soulmate, he reasoned, so I think that’s a step above angels and demons, probably. After all, we don’t have souls. He assumed, of course, that no such string of fate could exist in any capacity for angels.


Shiori had at no point invited Ellis to start thinking over their relative hierarchies, but he couldn’t help it; it was an impulse. It always made Ellis feel a little instinctually better if he knew where to categorize another supernatural creature on the pecking order in relation to himself. They were almost always higher up, but that didn’t bother him. Knowing his place was its own reward, even if it was a subservient one.


His train of thought rolled to a stop as Shiori continued, and Ellis listened with no less raptness than before. There were so many gods--or, no, kami, he corrected himself again--and they all seemed so complex! Something in the way they were given governance over singular things reminded Ellis of his own ordained assignment: a single hour of the night. He wasn’t in charge of that hour, of course, but there was enough of a parallel there for him to experience a spark of fellow-feeling.

[10:18 PM] Ellis Hanoch (CC): Yokai, then. Not quite like my kind, but close. Just more exalted, it would seem. “You don’t have to apologize! It’s honestly fascinating. I’ve--I mean, before I came here, I only ever had one or two run-ins with any supernatural living force. It’s one thing to read about other pantheons in books, and another to hear it from someone who’s a part of one!” Ellis paused to follow Shiori’s directions, folding as instructed. 


“It’s very different. But I think that’s kind of…” Ellis tilted his head, trying to put his feelings into words. Meeting new kinds of creatures for the first time meant he was dissecting new kinds of emotions for the first time, as well. Shiori’s comparisons were helpful, but even so, Ellis couldn’t neatly fit their kind into any paradigm that was similar to the one he used for his own kind, his own pantheon. Shiori and their fellows were just something more. 


What a wonderful thing, to be out in the world after hundreds of years, and discover something new--something new that might have been here longer than you’ve existed. “I think it’s kind of beautiful,” he concluded, not at all embarrassed at how maudlin he must have seemed. He also didn’t seem to think it strange to use “beautiful” to describe a scenario in which he’d learned a kami of bodily waste existed, either. The angel was being simply sincere.


<d> @Shiori Okita (Nora)

[4:36 PM] Shiori Okita (Nora): "I have to admit, I haven't had much opportunity to talk about it all in quite a long time." Other kami just knew, for starters, but they hadn't had much to do with kami - or yokai in general, honestly, aside from the ones that lived with them. Yokai of their own creation. "I find other pantheons similarly complicated, but in... different ways?" they said, thoughtful.


"You, for example," this said with a broad gesture at his being. "I know a little bit of the broad... hm, not specifically Christian, I suppose. Abrahamic? Is that the term? The... joining of Christianity and Islam and Judaism." They said these things hesitantly, as if not quite sure if they were using the terms properly. "I know a bit of that. Here and there. Mostly Christianity, of course, as that was the most..." Shiori stopped, unsure if it would be rude to use the word intrusive, though it was certainly the truth.


"Ah, anyway, I exist within two realms. I don't recall if I'd mentioned that before?" The kami tilted their head to the side, considering. "I was... claimed, I suppose you might say. Brought in to a different pantheon, and thus became entwined. So I grew curious about other pantheons, and began to study, off and on. But Shinto and my fellow kami are where I am most comfortable existing. And I quite enjoy teaching. Not just about my pantheon, of course." They said with a smile. As they spoke, they walked him through the folds of the crane, step by step, as if emphasizing their statement.


<d> @Ellis Hanoch (CC)

[10:02 PM] Ellis Hanoch (CC): “That’s probably accurate,” Ellis said, offering Shiori an apologetic smile, “I’m not entirely sure I understand the more complicated bits of where I belong, either. The best I could tell you is a theory, really.” Angels existed in almost every facet of Christianity itself, to say nothing of the overlaps with Judaism, Islam, and other faiths. Angels themselves as a concept were even older, and Ellis wasn’t sure where they ended and he began. All of this was only further exacerbated by the fact that he had nobody to ask; his creator didn’t communicate directly with most of his servants.


Hearing Shiori speak of “claiming” piqued his interest though, and his hands stilled for a moment to give them his full attention. That particular tidbit of information, dropped right when Ellis was contemplating the particulars of his own existence, left him to wonder if such a thing was possible for his own pantheon. Abrahamic faiths had definitely built upon things that came before them, after all. Some people claimed links between the fravashi or the yazata of Zoroastrianism to angel-like beings, and some fringe elements linked the book of Enoch with some Sumerian scripts. 


Aside from the fact that Ellis thought those particular links were far-fetched, if his kind had been absorbed from another pantheon, it would mean they’d been stolen instead of actually created by the great I Am, which Ellis found distasteful enough to utterly dismiss outright. This wasn’t the time to go silently meandering down a philosophical train of thought, anyway. He’d been quietly following along with Shiori’s instructions while all of this passed through his mind. “Well, I enjoy learning! It’s certainly a lot to think about. I didn’t even know something like that was fully possible,” he admitted, “do you mind--is it alright if I ask which pantheon? You don’t have to say, if you don’t want to.” 


<d> @Shiori Okita (Nora)

[10:25 PM] Shiori Okita (Nora): Ellis was remarkably attentive, they thought, though it was certainly clear that his thoughts strayed from time to time, possibly mulling over what the kami was saying. They couldn't blame him, if that were the case; it was a lot of information to parse, and frankly, while they did like the angel, there seemed to be some gaps in his knowledge of divine existence beyond his own pantheon.


She attributed that to the way his lone god seemed to want to hog all of the divine everything for himself. Conquest came in many forms, and all the surviving religions had been hurt in no small way by it.


They shook the thoughts away, coming back as Ellis asked where the kami had been dragged into.


"Oh, I don't mind. I'm a Bodhisattva. Buddhism, if you were unfamiliar with the term." That one was an odd sort of issue, as well. As with Shinto, the kami was both themself and a conglomerate of others. Or in this case, their female aspect was thought to be Dakiniten, a deity, while their more androgynous self was simply... Inari, Bodhisattva. Why couldn't these things be simple, even just once?

[10:25 PM] Shiori Okita (Nora): The kami bit back a small sigh. Even if they had told Ellis who they really were - and they had little intention of telling anyone that was not within their own pantheons - it would only complicate things further. Imagining the rabbit hole of study that anyone might go down trying to learn Shinto kami was enough to make their head spin, and they were a kami!


Shiro lifted her head, shifting in Shiori's lap and reaching up to give the kami a gentle lick, reminding Shiori to calm down and recenter themselves. The edges of their form seemed to flicker a moment, wavering as if seen through a cloud of heat, before it stabilized once more. If their companion saw or thought to focus, he might see brief flashes of vulpine ears, or the suggestion of a tail... or perhaps tails, fanning out behind Shiori's form, before the facade of their mortal seeming settled back into place.


<d> @Ellis Hanoch (CC)

[12:56 AM] Ellis Hanoch (CC): “Some gaps in his knowledge” was a very generous judgement on Shiori’s part. Ellis was woefully uneducated on other pantheons, and indeed had not really had much to do with them until very recently. While Shiori was not wrong in regards to the behavior of his Creator, the real reason was much simpler: he was a human-centric creature, and they had occupied most of his time and attention for the majority of his life. 


So he found himself playing catch-up in the middle of a situation where being uninformed was downright dangerous. Such was life. 


“Bodhisattva,” he repeated, carefully pronouncing the word to make sure he’d gotten it right. It was very clearly the first time he’d ever heard it, or at least the first time he’d paid the word any special attention. “That one’s new to me, too--” he began, looking up away from his project, but stopped when the illusion in front of him flickered like a guttering candle, leaving him with a very strange impression that he wasn’t even sure he’d seen. 


Ellis blinked, thoughts completely thrown off-track. There had been a lot of fluff in that thing-he-thought-he’d-seen. He hadn’t quite missed the moment of Shiori calming themself, and he couldn’t help but feel that he might have contributed to that. “Um. Sorry again, for the twenty questions. We can focus on one lesson at a time, if you like!”


<d> @Shiori Okita (Nora)

[1:08 AM] Shiori Okita (Nora): "It was new to me as well, a long time ago," they offered with a small smile. "I don't much recall saying I was going to walk the path to becoming a Buddha, but here we are. Human stories and shapings are... interesting. I'm grateful that they liked me so? But I sometimes have envied the simpler lives of divines not quite so stretched about."


At least Inari had gotten to keep their own name, for the most part. They were still very much Inari, along with other things. It wasn't like those poor Greco-Roman divines who got renamed all at random. Humans could be so very rude, honestly.


If Shiori realized that Ellis had seen through their glamour in the brief moment it had gone awry, they gave no inclination of mentioning it, instead showing him the next steps of the crane. "I don't mind. There are all kinds of lessons, and you surely have a lot to catch up on. If I were folding alone, or with one of my kin, we would probably be meditating, but this is enjoyable, too. You're nearly there. A couple more folds and your first crane will be done." They looked up, offering him an encouraging smile.


<d> @Ellis Hanoch (CC)

[10:53 AM] Ellis Hanoch (CC): Ellis returned the smile with a grin, and nodded, attending to his origami lesson. “I definitely do. I plan on hitting the library soon. I can’t help but feel that’s… rude? But asking other divinities a thousand questions can also be rude.” He heaved a short sigh. “I’ve got to learn somehow. That’s at any rate, for your patience, Shiori.”


The path to a Buddha… that was another thing to think about, really, how it must feel to have one’s identity pulled about so much. Ellis was a largely static creature, and he preferred it that way, but that wasn’t because he was immune to the same forces of belief that shaped the gods. If anything, he figured he might be more susceptible as a lesser being, but he couldn’t be sure. 


Being intrinsically changed was something he deeply feared. Would he feel the same way if the change was slower, more benign? He couldn’t say, but it struck him as rather brave that Shiori had accepted such things with grace and calm. They certainly handled it better than Ellis thought he would. 


By the time he finished the final folds of the crane, he realized he’d fallen into complete silence, and aside from his internal musings, had largely focused completely on what he’d come here to do. Ellis held up his creation and regarded it contemplatively. It was a little bit wonky, with some uneven folding in the head and tail, but it was at least recognizably a crane. 


He shook his head briefly. “It’s still hard to think this came from a flat piece of paper.”


<d> @Shiori Okita (Nora)

[2:24 PM] Shiori Okita (Nora): "I can provide a list of books for you, for Shinto and Buddhism, if you'd like," they offered after a moment. "I'll have one of the foxes drop it off in the basket." There were a great deal of resources out there, of course, but Shiori felt that some were just... better. WRitten more concisely, or with a broader grasp of knowledge. Any number of things. Some things that might seem good resources were pure fiction, written to entertain, not to educate. They did not want Ellis to have to deal with those.


When he finished the crane, Shiori gave him a pleased smile. "No one begins perfectly. Only by practice and repetition do we attain perfection, though flaws have their own beauty as well. Like kintsugi, for example. The repair of broken things with gold lacquer. It enhances the breaks, the flaws, and makes the item all the more beautiful for it. It is a way to say... we survived. We live on, better than before."


"Would you like to try a few more cranes with me, to make sure you have the steps down?" they asked, sliding out another sheet in offer.


<d> @Ellis Hanoch (CC)

[2:52 PM] Ellis Hanoch (CC): “That would be excellent, actually,” Ellis replied, “I trust you to know which sources are reputable on the subjects.” He nodded. Since his initial visit to Foxpoint, he’d made good on his word, and the “fox box” had a place of honor on the back porch. “With your blessing, I’ll leave some treats as a C.O.D.” 


Ellis turned his little crane this way and that as Shiori spoke. “Kintsugi,” he repeated, once again making sure he had the pronunciation of the word right. He rather liked the concept, the idea of taking something that had been broken and somehow making it more. “That sounds lovely, honestly. I think deep down I’m still on the side of ‘prevent harm at all costs,’ but even so…” Sometimes harm couldn’t be prevented, and there were worse ways to approach damage than with the intent of making it more beautiful that before.


He set his crane aside as the next sheet was offered. “I would love to. I don’t want to take up too much of your time, but I’ve cleared the afternoon, so as far as I’m concerned, class can be as long as you’d like it to be!”


<d> @Shiori Okita (Nora)

[3:34 PM] Shiori Okita (Nora): "I'll write up that list when I get home, then," they said, making the mental note with a nod. "And I'm sure the kin would love whatever treats you leave for them." A pause, and then they narrowed their eyes at Ellis, a playful glint in their depths. "You haven't been over-indulging them, have you?"


They hummed thoughtfully, pulling out another sheet for themselves, as well; this one was brightly patterned with flecks of gold leaf scattered across its surface. "Sometimes harm happens no matter what we do to try and prevent it," they said softly, fingers following the folds of a crane automatically. "And sometimes it is a valuable lesson that must be learned. Such lessons can only be done the hard way."


They glanced up at him then, studying him for a long moment. "I think it is good, that you want to prevent harm. But at all costs can be harmful to you. And then where are you? Prevention only works so much, goes so far, before it loops back in on itself."


<d> @Ellis Hanoch (CC)

[4:21 PM] Ellis Hanoch (CC): “No, no,” he said, holding his hands up, “angel’s honor. I actually don’t have a lot of food in the house I think they’d like, I don’t think?” He looked to Shiro somewhat questioningly for a moment before returning his gaze to Shiori. “I don’t eat meat, so I don’t keep it in the house. But, if you have any recommendations as to what constitutes a perfect treat, I’m quite happy to hear them. From all parties, of course.” 


He grew quiet again as Shiori continued. It was honestly surprising how hard that message could be to accept, really accept, for a being like Ellis. He’d watched some of his charges learn hard lessons, but it was usually because they either kept him distant or ignored his advice. Shiori quite threw him for a loop, though, when they looked up and bought the conversation around to him. 


Ellis blinked. “Oh. Well… I’m usually fine. I mean, I was made for this sort of thing. Granted, knowing my limits is a good thing, as is respecting the decisions of creatures that have free will, but I always come out alright.” After all, if his vessel was killed, he just went back home. But… nothing was really happening the way it was supposed to be happening, these days. 


“Saying it out loud,” he added, wryly, “sounds… more like overconfidence than I would like. You may be onto something, Shiori.”


<d> @Shiori Okita (Nora)

[2:40 PM] Shiori Okita (Nora): "Oh, foxes eat... pretty much anything," assured Shiori with a dry smile. "Not just meat. Vegetables, fruit... pretty much anything. Mushrooms, too, all sorts." A pause. "Even insects, grubs, and the like. They really liked when Maureen left out apple scraps from cider-making, I think."


They continued to fold their own crane in silence for a time, completing it and setting it on the table between them. A fresh sheet was taken, and this time they began the intricate folds of a fox. They used a black sheet of paper this time, its underside white, beginning the process for a complicated pattern.


Ellis seemed to need a moment to process what they'd said, and that was understandable. It was a lot, they knew, even for a divine being. But sometimes... sometimes a person just needed a gentle nudge.

[2:40 PM] Shiori Okita (Nora): When he came upon the conclusion that it sounded overconfident, they nodded. "Knowing where a problem lies is the first step toward correction. This is true for all things. Paper folding, for instance... your completed crane sits awkwardly. The problem is easy to see here. You are learning, only just beginning. You are in the stage of unconscious ignorance. You do not know yet exactly what you did wrong, only that something did go wrong. Next is the conscious ignorance, where you will see where you went wrong, but are not yet skilled enough to prevent it. And so it goes, until you master the art and have unconscious competence." As they spoke, they folded, creating the pattern out of long memory, and not because they were particularly focused on their task.


"I have been folding paper since the dawn of the art's creation. Similarly, I have arranged flowers - ikebana - since its own creation a few hundred years ago. These things, I would not expect you to be perfect at right now. For you, who have spent your existence helping a specific family... you are branching out now, yes? Dealing with people whose lives you do not fully understand. Not just other divines like myself, but mortals and gods-blessed. You knew Maureen well, I think, and surely you must have known her line similarly well. But outside of that, can you truly say that you know them enough to be confident in your ability to protect? To keep them safe from harm? They are like the folding of the crane. You see, but you do not yet know."


[8:04 PM] Ellis Hanoch (CC): A smile that was a little bit sad, but mostly just fond, flickered across Ellis’s features as he imagined Maureen leaving cider pommage out for her furred neighbors. He watched in silence as Shiori folded their second crane, and then moved on to something that almost immediately became much more complex than anything they’d worked on so far. 


And, as Shiori folded, he listened. Their speech was soft, not forceful, but there was an unmistakable momentum behind their words as they patiently unfolded the metaphor with the same skill that they folded their artwork. Ellis was a creature of blind faith--an angel, obedience incarnate. He had, over his time with humans, gone through the skill-facilitating process Shiori mentioned many times before, even if he hadn’t realized it, on scales as large as guiding humans through dangerous lands and as small as learning to cook a perfect pancake. 


It was never a process he’d thought about before, though, as such initiative didn’t come naturally to him. Ellis was quiet even after Shiori had finished speaking, a little stunned by the weight of what had been said. “You’re right, of course,” he said, sounding more resigned than subdued. “There probably is a significant difference between knowing you can get between the people you want to protect and the danger, and knowing that you’re strong enough to stop it.” 


Ellis shook his head faintly. “At the same time, we have to be prepared for the possibility that I won’t understand the danger before it’s time to… to square off, so to say.” He paused. Shiori didn’t seem to mind dispensing good advice, so Ellis figured it was safe to ask. “What do you do in that situation? I mean, for me, it’s always been throw yourself in there and hope you can absorb the damage yourself, really.”


[9:33 PM] Shiori Okita (Nora): Their fingers stilled briefly in their folding, and they looked up at his question, lips pressing into a thin line. "What do I do when it is time to... square off?" they repeated, followed by a soft sigh. The folding continued where they had left off, the little fox steadily taking shape as they worked.


"I have too many kin looking to me. Throwing myself into danger to absorb the damage? That is not the way to do things."


There was a long stretch of silence as they thought how best to approach his question before they gave another, sharper sigh. "It is true that we do not always understand the danger in time to do things differently, but if you must put yourself in the way of harm, it is best to do so with skill and intent."


"I have burned the fields of farmers who dared to kill my fox kin instead of learning to live with them. I have cut men in two. Doing no harm? It is an ideal we can strive for, but it is not, in the end, always going to work. I learned how to fight back, and to do it well. Do not allow yourself to be destroyed to save another, unless there is absolutely no other choice."


Shiori finished the origami fox, a blessing in their fingertips as they placed it in front of him. "A token for you. A little wish, perhaps," they said with a small smile. "It must be difficult for you, having to learn so much and so quickly. That your role comes with flaws. But we all have flaws, in the end. It is how we learn to work around them that defines us."


<d> @Ellis Hanoch (CC)

[10:47 PM] Ellis Hanoch (CC): Ellis tilted his head, once again focusing on simply absorbing what the kami was telling him. When Shiori talked about the things they had done, the angel didn’t seem as scandalized as one might expect. At most, there was a hint of sudden sadness in his bearing, thinking of the circumstances that had led Shiori to do such things. They had given him a clear picture of the weight of the responsibility they bore in the words they said, and in the words they did not say. 


He didn’t judge them for these things; after all, Ellis had spent a long time around humans, which were creatures fundamentally different than he was. Shiori was also fundamentally different, it seemed, and though Ellis supposed he could always be wrong, it seemed like the responsibility they bore, that weight he’d sensed, was the counterbalance to the weight of these violent actions. It seemed like an equation, not a sadistic indulgence.


When the origami fox was presented to him, Ellis’s eyes widened slightly in surprised delight. He picked it up gently, marveling again at how such a beautiful little thing had once come from a flat sheet of paper. “Thank you, Shiori,” he said, “It reminds me of a friend I have.” His eyes darted down, briefly, in the general direction of a certain dark-furred fox. Ellis didn’t name any names, though. He set the gift down next to his somewhat-wobbly crane. What a contrast! The difference in their handiwork was, in its own way, wonderful.

[10:47 PM] Ellis Hanoch (CC): And it was not unlike the difference in their natures. “That makes sense to me--the things you must do, as a protector and fighter both. But… I think there is a fundamental difference between us, Shiori. You spoke of protection with intent--that sounds wonderful, certainly very useful. Protection with a plan beyond the protection!” He paused, mentally chewing over the thought. “I don’t know, I think--honestly, for a creature capable of it, using violence as a means to protect is… poetic? Perhaps? Maybe I’ve just been around humans too long,” he added, sheepishly, “but it’s still kind of nice to imagine a way to make even the worst things benevolent, if that makes sense.” 


In that moment, something important happened. It was small, but significant: the phrase “benevolent violence” found root somewhere in the back of Ellis’s mind. 


“But I can only protect with the intent to protect. I’ve never specified which is, well, probably my fault, but I am created to only be a peaceful creature. Such is my nature.” He finally raised his eyes from the pair of origami creatures to meet Shiori’s. “I’m forbidden to bring harm to another living being. Even if it’s indirect, it… bothers me. And if I were to ever willfully take a life, it would…” Ellis’s voice wavered, then died. He took a moment to compose himself, and then finally said, “I’d suffer a fate worse than death.”


Ellis sat up a little straighter, his tone brisk, reassuring. “But it is good advice! I can’t take it on my own, not all on my own, but it’s helpful because I can’t fight, but I’m already meeting people, I’m already making friends, who can. I don’t think I can bring intent to the battlefield. I’m just a shield, at the end of the day. That’s all I can be. The best I can do is survive what comes my way. But I can call on people who can be more. I think that’s worth remembering--I really do.”


[12:52 AM] Shiori Okita (Nora): They smiled, flashing teeth, and glanced down at Kuro as well, who merely gave a fox's grumpy huff, his tail flicking as if he knew that he was being spoken of. And... well.... he did know, of course, his tie with Shiori strong enough to be able to follow their conversation and thoughts even though he seemed to not be paying attention.


"There is going to be a fundamental different, yes. We are two very different pantheons, to begin with. Well... three, if one considers my dual nature." They frowned at that, pensive more than anything, and reached out, gently patting his hand with their own. If he paid attention, he might feel a gentle scrape of claw rather than nail, and a subtle difference in skin texture. Though their hands appeared quite normal, they would not feel as such.


It was, perhaps, the first time they had actually touched Ellis, and they were soon withdrawing their hand. "I think who you are may surprise you, one day," they offered, watching him carefully. "What we are, that does not matter so much in the end. What we are is what provides us our unique gifts, or abilities, or whatever you would like to call it. My... affinity for foxes, my love of growing things... that is linked to what I am, but it is also part of who I am."


"I believe that the will to fight comes in many forms. Perhaps you do not fight the way that I do, and that is fine. I would not expect it of you." Nor would he be capable, in all truth; the way that they - that Inari - fought was very different from how most would. Coyote, perhaps. No... Coyote definitely seemed like he would fight the same way, with tooth and claw and fire. 


It was almost amusing trying to imagine Ellis being capable of the same. "But I think you ignore the little fights. Being a shield is its own struggle, its own battle. Fighting comes in many forms, my friend. It is when you recognize your how and hone it that allows you to reach your highest potential."


<d> @Ellis Hanoch (CC)

[2:03 PM] Ellis Hanoch (CC): Ellis did note the way Shiori’s hand felt didn’t match the way it looked when they patted him. He was mildly curious, but set aside the detail to think about later, and listened. 


”I think who you are might surprise you, one day.”


There was an instant mental kickback in Ellis’s mind at the phrase, but he shoved it aside as much as he could to keep listening. Everything Shiori said made sense, of course. The separation of one’s nature and who they became or chose to be--he’d seen it play out before him many times in humans. He could see that, to some degree, it was the same for creatures like Shiori. That seemed right and proper; Ellis wouldn’t want anything to happen to force them to accept an identity they didn’t want to have. 


It struck him as very kind and very wise advice, but part of Ellis still rejected it. He wasn’t a god. He was the tool of a god. Down the centuries, once or twice, Ellis had tentatively wondered whether or not there was a place his nature ended and he, as a person, began, but it was a difficult thing for him to conceptualize--there were walls and channels built into his mind to direct his thoughts. Unfortunately, not even the sage advice of someone as storied and ancient as Shiori could break those walls.

[2:04 PM] Ellis Hanoch (CC): This was part of the reason why he had described the Fall as a fate worse than death; to be changed in such a way wouldn’t just be losing his identity, but also leaving something malicious and powerful in his wake. If he had to perish, he would rather do so knowing what was left of him wouldn’t hurt someone. 


He offered Shiori a smile and a nod, but there was an edge of sadness to it; the kami would probably see that, to some degree, their advice hadn’t quite been absorbed. Not this time. 


At least, not the advice concerning identity; their final words had Ellis tilting his head thoughtfully. “You’re right. Again,” he snorted a soft laugh, “I don’t think I’m going to ever stop saying that when you’re around, really. I never thought of playing to one’s strengths as a ‘little fight,’ but you’re not wrong. Maybe it’ll help to think about things that way. Make them seem a little less insurmountable.”

[2:04 PM] Ellis Hanoch (CC): <d>


@Shiori Okita (Nora)

[8:27 PM] Shiori Okita (Nora): The kami caught the glimpse of sadness in their friend's smile. Something they said must have caused such a reaction, but they weren't sure what part, exactly. Something to think on, later.


"Hmm, I don't know about all that," they said with a smile. "I can't possibly be right all the time. I've just been around the world a time or two." This they said with a wink and a slight grin. "But in this, I do have a... moderate amount of experience."


Okay, perhaps more than a little moderate. A lot of experience, in fact. Regardless...


"I think that looking at things as little fights, little battles... it helps to build up your abilities, your skill. It is... like folding the crane. The more you practice, the easier a thing becomes, until one day you find you can do something... bigger. More intricate." They gestured at the little paper fox as an example. "I was not created knowing how to make that. It took learning, and practice, until I could. Life - even lives like ours - are much the same."


They absently drummed their fingertips on the table between them, claws making a rhythmic tak tak tak as they met the wood. "Ah, but we came out here today to learn origami and catch up on the supernatural goings-on. I apologize if I have made things... heavier than intended."


<d> @Ellis Hanoch (CC)

[8:54 PM] Ellis Hanoch (CC): “Well, your track record is impeccable, at least as far as I’m concerned,” Ellis replied with a smile. He looked at the crane as Shiori spoke, absorbing their words. The metaphor made a good deal of sense. “Life--even lives like ours--are much the same.” Ellis had to admit that rang true. He did a great many things these days he wasn’t created knowing how to do, and he liked a good many things he wasn’t created to like. 


He came close, very close to contemplating the idea that maybe the Ellis Hanoch that was sitting here learning origami, who had developed tastes in food and music, who loved the art of radio broadcasting, who was always ready with a dry comeback when he was annoyed, might just be more than what he’d been created to be, a mere extension of his Creator’s will. 


Close, but not quite. The notion slipped away, behind one of the walls in his mind. “Oh, no, you don’t need to apologize! I… honestly, I think it’s something I needed to hear. I think that’s very helpful.” Ellis didn’t personally confide much in other people as a rule, not because he didn’t trust them, but because he couldn’t imagine burdening another being with his problems. He was a guardian angel. Causing problems for other people was the opposite of his intended function.


He’d also gotten fairly good at shuffling his deeper uncertainties and unpleasant emotions out of sight. Ellis had to be lured or tricked into accepting anything even closely resembling comfort, and whether or not Shiori had meant to, they’d managed to maneuver him into the perfect position, between the use of origami as a metaphor and their own calm, confident presence. 


“Thank you, Shiori,” he said, a touch softer, with a note of sincere warmth in his voice.


<d> @Shiori Okita (Nora)

[11:53 PM] Shiori Okita (Nora): "Well, if you think I am doing an adequate job, then that is what matters in this moment," the kami said with a nod and a smile. "You are always welcome to come to me if you need assistance thinking things through. I would like to think you a friend."


Friends, in their culture, were almost family. Perhaps in some ways they were family, honestly, and though Shiori had not lived in their homeland for many long years, they were still, at their center, Japanese.


Ellis had not quite given the response they had hoped for, but then... they knew it was a long hope. And perhaps one day they would see what they thought was his ultimate truth. They liked this angel, though he was technically on a team they could not abide.


Before they could voice their thoughts (and probably that was for the best), as one the three foxes on the ground stood, ears pricking up and forward. Shiro stirred in the kami's lap, and then hopped down, joining her kin.


Shiori frowned, rising to their feet as well. "My apologies, Ellis. They rarely act this way. I think there is something... amiss." Their brow furrowed slightly as they tried to pinpoint the problem, but whatever it was, it was too far. Perhaps something back at the farm...


"Ah, please do keep the paper for your practice. Perhaps you will make the thousand cranes, yes?" they asked with a broad smile as they gathered their other things, leaving him the various sheets.


<d> @Ellis Hanoch (CC)

[3:02 PM] Ellis Hanoch (CC): Ellis felt himself positively fill up with affection, and he didn’t try to hide from his gaze or his voice when he said, “That means a lot to me. Consider the feeling mutual.” 


In the few months he’d arrived in the tri-city area, Ellis had already seen quite a lot of unusual things and met a handful of supernatural entities. It was strange to think it had all started with that first cider delivery, with meeting Shiori. He was glad for it, though; Ellis couldn’t think of anyone else that he would have preferred to meet first. 


When the foxes stirred, disturbed, Ellis frowned, turning to look in the direction that the foxes seemed focused in. Obviously, Ellis couldn’t see anything amiss, but he didn’t doubt that they did; after all, he didn’t have a foxes senses. He wasn’t even looking with his own eyes. “I hope it’s nothing serious,” he said, also standing. 


“I’ll certainly practice! Who knows, maybe I will get to a thousand.” Ellis said as he carefully gathered up the cranes and the paper squares. He could easily see himself folding in the quiet hours, even if only to give himself something to do with his hands when he wanted to calm himself. If events thus far were any indicator, he’d probably need plenty of calming-down time in the future. Maybe the winter season would be calmer than the autumn, though. Who could say?


“Do be careful, alright?” Ellis said as they both prepared to go, “and if you need any kind of help, don’t hesitate to ask.” There were a lot of situations where a guardian angel might be helpful to have in one’s pocket. 


<d> @Shiori Okita (Nora)

[3:40 PM] Shiori Okita (Nora): Shiori offered him a blinding smile, though the corners of their eyes were a little tight with worry. "I hope I'm there when you do reach a thousand cranes," they said, eyes sparkling. They wondered, absently, what his Big Wish would be... if he had one at all. What would he ask for of the thousand cranes? What would their wings and his patience and sacrifice bear to Shiori?


"It's hard to tell how serious it is, but I still had best go and check. We'll all be careful, I promise." Shiori offered a bow and a cheeky smile, and then made their way back to their truck, loading up the foxes, with Shiro and Kuro taking the front so that they could be the kami's guide.


With a final wave to Ellis, Shiori started the engine, carefully backing out of the space before tearing off down the road at a speed that was definitely illegal and also seemingly not possible for a truck as old as theirs appeared to be.


<d> @Ellis Hanoch (CC) 


[11:02 PM] Ellis Hanoch (CC): Ellis could do nothing in the wake of Shiori’s blinding smile but smile right back, and nod. He wasn’t intending on keeping up with the exact number of cranes he folded outside of a ballpark number, mostly because, even if he did reach a thousand… well, nothing would happen, surely? Wishes were for humans, for people with souls and desires. He was an angel; who ever heard of something as absurd as an angel with a wish?


It would still be worth it to say he’d done it, though, and hopefully be able to show Shiori how much their taking the time to teach him had meant to Ellis. 


He gathered up his things, stopping and taking a moment to stare as Shiori hurried out of the parking lot with a haste that was as shocking as it was probably inappropriate. Ellis gave a small shake of his head, smiling. He wasn’t too worried, as he doubted Shiori would be reckless enough to hurt anyone in their haste. Just goes to show, he thought to himself, how calm someone can seem on the outside, while being… well. Not that. 


His own exit from the park was much more sedate, and much more solitary. Ellis wasn’t rushing to solve an unknown problem, and he wasn’t escorting anyone back to his lonely estate but himself, after all. The only beings waiting for him back home were the ducks.


They probably weren’t in any hurry to go out into the cold, anyway.


Scene End

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Winter, Day 35 - Foxpoint Farms

Flashback - May, 1834, Japan

Winter, Day 25 - In-Between (Sanzu-no-Kawa)