Fall Festivities - Foxpoint 2
[11:34 AM] Tabitha Starr (Cyn): Tabitha hummed happily in the car as Joseph drove her to the last stop of the night, Foxpoint Farms. She'd left it for last, because she expected it to take the longest. The locals she'd spoken to had raved about the owner's extensive property, her produce, and her foxes. With her visits to Sprieno and Golden Delicious both having born such excellent fruit, the poet was convinced this night could do nothing but go in her favor.
When she arrived, so near to midnight, she immediately headed for the drums, moving as quickly as she dared. Her personal "music" might be based in wordplay, but she adored anything with rhythm and power. It had been ages since she'd been to a Taiko concert, and she simply was not going to miss it. She made it with only minutes to spare.
[11:34 AM] Tabitha Starr (Cyn): She looked terribly out of place, seated on the bench in her expensive costuming. Tonight, the poet had decided on a dress of clinging deep blue velvet, so blue it was almost black, studded with chips of diamond that caught the flickering lights, sparkling like stars. The neckline was borderline indecent, the slit entirely too high, and the hem entirely too low, for a humble farmstand festival. The diamond and sapphire statement necklace at her throat resembled the peppering of stars across the night sky. A shimmering veil of iridescence hung from her wrists, and anchored at her shoulders, and another flowed from the elaborate headpiece perched carefully upon the updo her riot of blonde curls had been forced into. Her shoes, at least, were not stilettos, the one nod to practically she'd made in this costume, but were instead wedges of shimmering silver. The finishing touch? Her skin was covered in whorls of silver, deep amethyst, and midnight blue shimmer makeup.
She was always a Starr, but tonight, she was all of the stars- Nyx, goddess of the night.
Tabitha breathed a bit heavily, as she looked around waiting for the music to begin, a look of utter delight on her face. <d>
[6:42 AM] necromandi: Andromeda hadn’t been long in Douglas County and as such, she got last dibs on time off around the fall festival which her coworkers had been gabbing about and eager to attend for weeks now. Having grown up in Indiana, she was no stranger to Harvest celebrations and so didn’t feel as though she were missing out on anything until it was actually upon them and she saw what a big to-do it was, spanning several of the local farms. Thus tonight, when she was off several hours earlier than usual this week, she went home and changed before heading out to try and catch a glimpse of things before the night came to a close.
She had made it to Foxpoint a little after ten and was able to catch the tail end (no pun intended) of a play about a harvest god she had, admittedly, never heard of. Make no mistake though, she’ll be making some deep dives on the internet this weekend to familiarize herself with them. This farm, this county in general, seemed somehow set apart from the world she had left behind, and Andy’s curiosity knew no bounds.
After perusing the farm, warmly lit by paper lanterns and abounding in other ephemeral fancies, she followed the crowd that seemed to be gathering around a line of barrel-like drums, stopping along the way to purchase a small cup of plum sake to help combat the bite of the Autumnal night air. She took a seat on one of the benches facing the drums with what she thought would be a good view of the performers. It wasn’t long before someone joined her in holding down that particular bench and as Andy was taking another sip of sake she noticed glittering movement in her periphery. A slight tilt of her head and brown eyes were cast toward the enchantingly-dressed stranger from over the rim of the cup. Wow.
[6:42 AM] necromandi: For the first time this evening Andy, clad in comfortable jeans, scuffed up boots, and a layered combination of hoodie and leather jacket, felt incredibly underdressed and plain. It took her a moment to realize she was staring, eyes wide with fascination. “I’m sorry,” she said abruptly, blinking out of the reverie the woman’s sparkling attire had induced. “I’m staring.” An awkward sort of laugh escaped her and a lopsided little smile pulled up the corner of her mouth.
“That is a look,” Andy said, clearly impressed and intrigued. She hoped saying as much might invite and explanation, even a brief one as the drum performance was about to begin.
[6:42 AM] necromandi: @Tabitha Starr (Cyn)
[8:16 PM] Tabitha Starr (Cyn): "Stare all you like, sweetness, I don't mind the attention," the poet purred, voice slightly breathless from the quick travel from car to drumming area. She accepted a cup of refreshment from some or another person with a smile, not really caring what it was, and took a sip, before turning more toward Andy.
"And thank you!" Tabitha fairly beamed at the other woman. "I do endeavor ever to make a statement. I've a different costume picked out for every night of the festival, specially made for that night planned excursions." She leaned in a bit closer, blonde curls bouncing, despite the updo. "This one is my favorite, however."
"Tabitha Katherine Starr, poet, partygoer, perfectionist. And you are?" She took another sip from her cup, noting that the musicians seemed to be prepping to start within the next few minutes. "I am so glad I made it. I was utterly terrified I'd be too late." <d> @necromandi
[10:27 AM] necromandi: The warm reception she received elicited a more genuine, easy-going smile from her. She was glad not to have made things awkward, though that seemed due in large part to the effervescent grace with which this Tabitha Katherine Starr carried herself. Part of her wished for confidence of that caliber. Did that count? Wishing upon a Starr?
“Andy,” she answered simply, as if that was all there was to her, though elaborated after a second’s consideration. “Andy Sharpe, waitress, shit at alliteration,” she added with a little peal of laughter. Of course this meager description of her barely scratched the surface of who she was or what she was about but perhaps what she chose to leave unsaid was revealing in its own way. A recluse maybe, or someone with something to hide, certainly someone that didn’t see her own worth. She took another drink of her sake and savored it in a brief moment of silence as she considered how best to divert any more questions about herself. Luckily, Tabitha spared her the trouble by making mention of the performance they were about to watch.
“Me too, I’ve never seen drums like this in person.” It wasn’t that she had lead an especially secluded life prior to coming here, it was just that the drums she was used to were fast and loud, played by sweaty little punk kids in cramped little dive bars. “...I didn’t realize how big the fall festival here was. I’m bummed I’ve missed so much of it already. There’s always next year though,” she said with a little smile and a cavalier shrug.
[10:27 AM] necromandi: @Tabitha Starr (Cyn)
[10:21 PM] Tabitha Starr (Cyn): "You are in for such a treat!" the poet gushed, when Andy mentioned never seeing Taiko drumming in person before. "I managed to catch a show back in New York, some time ago. I swear, in person, you can feel the rhythms in your soul! I wrote the most amazing poetry after that performance!" Tabitha sighed fondly and took another sip of her drink.
As she started to recite, unconscious power thrummed through her words. Several of the other attendees turned to look, captured by her words, even though her voice was not pitched to carry far beyond the bench upon which they were sitting.
Come and listen in the twilight time, speak in incantory waves
Bring your drum down to the fire
and watch the surface change.
Boundary illusions all shatter at your will
come midnight when the gates roll back
and the family goes still.
Ah, here we are in the midst of spirits dancing
Join the trybe in a waking dream.
Let your song continue and the imbas quell your fear
we flow with baited breath; round about the spiral go
when the Bards, my love, have spoken, you will know.
Tabitha transitioned seamlessly from poetry back to conversation, once more beaming at Andy. "Oh, but if you're a waitress, darling, you should come by my cafe and apply. We still need help, and I promise I can pay better than the Whammy Bar, or those diners down in Nicaea. It's Ravens in the Library, in Londonium." <d> @necromandi
--------------
((OOC: Tabitha has latent siren-like powers, of which she is unaware-which can enchant and beguile the listener. Falling under this effect to any degree is entirely up to the PCs.))
[12:08 PM] necromandi: The enthusiasm with which Tabitha hyped up the drum show made Andy all the more excited to witness it. She hadn’t been expecting the poetry, but found herself nevertheless entranced by it. Her smile softened, the look on her heart-shaped faced turned a little dreamy. Though she enjoyed reading poetry, she rarely heard it spoken aloud, much less by the poet themselves. Maybe that was to blame for the way Andy seemed to hang on her words, eager for more. When the verse ended she realized she was leaning a little towards Tabitha and sat back up, clearing her throat and taking a perfunctory sip of her drink. Her gaze darted off for a moment as the beguilement wore off as quickly as it had begun.
“Ravens in the Library,” she repeated, committing the name of the cafe to memory for later use. “You know I just might take you up on that, I am actually working at one of those diners down in Nicaea,” she offered with a huff of laughter and a little shrug. “The tips are shit, that’s for sure.” Not that it made a whole lot of difference to her, she’d never been the sort to chase wealth—she’d lived so long without it after all—but it would be nice, she supposed, to work somewhere a little more upscale and cozy than the greasy truck stop diner she was pulling night shifts at currently.
It was about then that the performers began to file out and take their places, all dressed in matching attire. They bowed deeply to the audience before stepping into formation and beginning to play. Andy wasn’t sure what she’d been expecting, but she soon found herself in awe nonetheless. The choreography of the drummers was impeccable, they moved as one in a show of discipline, athleticism, and power. The sound of the drums resonated deep within her, transported her. Tabitha was right, it was a treat. A wholly unexpected delight that caused her doe eyes to widen and her mouth to fall open ever so slightly.
[12:08 PM] necromandi: @Tabitha Starr (Cyn)
[10:26 AM] Shiori Okita (Nora): The kitsune, on the whole, were not quite as able to sense divine or even divinely touched in the same way that Shiori could. Their range was more limited, and it was more difficult for them to pinpoint level of strength.
But even they could feel the surge of power as someone did... something... on the farm. They did not sense malicious intent - though they exchanged glances as they readied themselves for the drums.
It was something to tell Shiori later, if the kami had somehow not sensed it themselves. But Kuro had returned, and Shiori was with the fox spirit for the time being.
Jiro was the one who ultimately located the source of the surge of power, though he was unsure which of the women it was. He glanced back at the twins, giving the subtlest of nods. He would watch them, just to make sure.
Together, the three raised their drumsticks and began to play.
Several foxes made their way through the crowd, wearing special vests that had a box perched between their shoulders, and dozens of tiny taiko drums - today's color was a vibrant purple - made of acorns and corn husks were attached by strings to the vests. "$1 per drum", read elegant embroidery on the vests, as the foxes moved through the crowd, no doubt trained for this.
<d> @Tabitha Starr (Cyn)
[1:15 PM] Tabitha Starr (Cyn): Tabitha sighed, long and loud, when the music began. This... this was her element, rhythm and power thrumming, the entrancement of the crowd, all of it called to her blood in ways she could not truly describe. Her hands grasped the edges of the bench as she leaned back, head tilted to the side, eyes closed, the perfect picture of sparkling ecstasy. Her drink sat beside her on the bench, forgotten, for now.
She would willingly trade a hundred lifetimes to live forever in these sorts of moments, these spaces between reality where nothing exists but pulsing power, and the confines of flesh ceased- for however briefly- to weigh down her spirit.
Eventually, her eyes opened, just as one of the adorable foxes neared her and Andy. With a happy little trill of delight, she snatched up two of the souvenir drums, dropping a twenty dollar bill into the box in its place.
"Oooooo, this is just the best evening, isn't it?" she exclaimed, as she turned to give Andy the second drum. <d> @necromandi
[11:18 AM] necromandi: Andy found herself beyond impressed by the drumming and glad and grateful that she was able to witness it. This was, suffice it to say, nothing like the fall festivities she was used to back in Indiana. The performance stirred something in her, like a wind that rushes through an old house and breathes new life into the creaky floorboards and causes the shutters to rattle. It was invigorating in a way she couldn’t quite put her finger on.
Engrossed as she was in the drumming, she couldn’t help but to notice the spritely little foxes that were wandering purposefully through the crowd with souvenirs affixed to their vests. “Oh, hello there,” she beamed at the vulpine visitors. Andy, unable to resist an adorable animal, was already reaching for her purse when Tabitha beat her to the punch, purchasing two of them with a generous donation and handing one to her.
She stuffed a crumpled dollar bill into one of the other fox boxes anyway and took the tiny drum that Tabitha had offered. “I honestly can’t think of one that’s been better,” she laughed, won over entirely by the flock of forbidden cats that populated this farm in particular. She wondered if the other host farms had equally wonderful offerings.
[11:19 AM] necromandi: @Tabitha Starr (Cyn)
[3:50 PM] Tabitha Starr (Cyn): The poet's smile widened as Andy took the drum. "This is simply perfection." She slipped her phone out of a hidden pocket in her dress and frowned at the time. "Ooooo, I may have to come back another night. I've visited Spireno and Golden Delicious already, but the visits took longer than I expected. I wanted to try and speak with the manager of this farm about supplies for the cafe. The locals have simply raved about their produce." Tabitha looked down at the fox with its adorable treasure, and laughed. "But unless you can lead me to them, I don't suppose I shall see them tonight. It is rather late." The phone vanished into her dress once more.
The blonde bombshell turned more toward Andy. "So are you from here? Or a transplant like me? If you mentioned earlier, I am terribly sorry, my darling." Tabitha added hurriedly, as she touched her fingertips to her chest, "My artist's heart is still quite overcome from the display. This area is overall so terribly dull, and devoid of culture, that I feel as if I have had my first true drink of water after a drought. Do you have a thing like that, where if you go too long without, you feel you might shrivel up and die?" She tried to cover Andy's hand with her own. If successful, the motion would put Andy's hand in contact with the diamond and marcasite bracelet, a well-loved item of very great sentimental value to the poet. <d> @necromandi
[7:37 PM] Shiori Okita (Nora): One of the foxes nearby flicked its ears at the mention of the farm's manager. The fox wandered over to the drums, brushing up against Jiro, who leaned down to scratch its ears before he left, headed toward the farmhouse where Shiori was just leaving, Kuro in tow.
A quiet discussion, and the kami nodded understanding, straightening their kimono and heading toward the seating area for the taiko concert. They were stopped along the way by regular customers, and made sure to greet each of them, chatting a few moments before excusing themselves to move onward, closer and closer toward the presence that had caught the attention of their kin.
The fox that had gone to tell Jiro what it heard returned to the seated women, giving a soft yip to try and gain their attention.
<d> @necromandi
((Please tag me on the next round; Shiori will enter properly then))
[1:45 PM] Tabitha Starr (Cyn): Tabitha waved and smiled as her new friend left, a bit sad that she could not continue the acquaintance. Oh, but the adorable fox was back!
"Oh my stars and garters, just look at you!" the blonde explained, leaning over to better look at the fuzzy darling. She held out her hand, palm down, as one might when meeting a new dog. "You seem so friendly and well-trained! Do you accept pat?" she asked. Her face suddenly lit up.
"Or laps?" She patted the now empty bench next to her. She didn't particularly care for animals, usually because they didn't particularly care for her, but how often can one say they got pet a trained fox? <d> @Shiori Okita (Nora)
[11:44 PM] Shiori Okita (Nora): The fox in question delighted in accepting pats from all sorts of people, and hopped up on the bench for a few moments to allow the woman to do so. It only hopped down when a diminutive figure approached, clad in a predominantly red kimono, their face a passive mask. A silvery-black fox followed behind the figure, keeping pace, his tail up in an 'alert' state.
As they neared, the kimono-clad figure gave the smallest of smiles, bowing slightly. "Good evening. I don't recognize your face; are you new to the festival? I trust the taiko concert treated you well," they said, tone smooth and polite as they gestured to the drums behind them.
<d> @Tabitha Starr (Cyn)
[8:52 PM] Tabitha Starr (Cyn): The star-spangled blonde absolutely delighted in the way the fox hopped up for attention, and took full advantage of the chance to pet the creature. For all her enthusiasm, however, it was quite obvious that she was unused to petting animals, as her touches were hesitant and over-careful. She wasn't sure if she should pat, or rub, or scratch, but she did at least seem happy, in the moment.
Tabitha looked up as she was addressed, jerking her hand back almost guiltily. "Oh! Yes, it was lovely to see a taiko concert in person again! I never would have imagined to find such a cultured display among well...," she waved a hand, "this are. Truthfully, I would have assumed most here wouldn't know the magic inherent in music at all, let alone this sort." The poet stood, and after really looking at the person before her, bowed her head and shoulders slightly- but did not offer her hand.
"Tabitha Katherine Starr, poet, partygoer, perfectionist. And you have the right of it. I recently relocated to Londonium at the request of my patron, purchasing the old Leaf and Bean coffee shop. We've rebranded it as an artist's cafe, focusing on brunch, small plates, and decadent desserts." Smiling, she continued, "Myself and another local businesswoman helped bring the fair to Nicaea, this year, and are working on opening a small community theater, as well. Something to water the roots of the creative types, who might otherwise wither and fade, in this bucolic place." <d> @Shiori Okita (Nora)
[2:43 PM] Shiori Okita (Nora): Shiori accepted the return bow with a slight smile; they were not against the shaking of hands, but keeping to tradition especially when in kimono was preferable. Besides that, they were not particularly fond of touching other people anyway, beyond their own 'kin'.
"I admit I was unsure how my festival activities would fare here, but I am certainly pleased by the turnout, even for the Noh performances," they replied easily.
"I'm afraid I haven't had much chance to get into town much, but I believe I've heard some of my staff talking about your café. It sounds like you have your work cut out for you, but artistic pursuits are always worthwhile, I feel," they continued, gesturing at their own displays across the farm grounds. "Perhaps I'll be able to come visit your café after the last harvest of the year. Winter is the time to relax and rest, after all."
<d> @Tabitha Starr (Cyn)
[6:43 PM] Tabitha Starr (Cyn): "This is your business then?" Tabitha asks, "The farm, that is. How fortuitous to meet you then. I was afraid my late night visit would mean I would be unable to do so." The blonde smoothed her hands over the diamond-studded silk of her dress.
"I've been taking advantage of the seasonal festival to visit local growers that have been recommended to me by various customers. My chef, Jules, greatly prefers to use local ingredients whenever possible. I was most interested in perhaps a contract for produce delivery. Once the new growing season starts, of course."
"I've already had such great success with the owners of Spireno and Golden delicious, but my understanding is that your farm is more full service?" Tabitha sat back down on the bench, silently inviting Shiori to join her. "More than just apples and booze, at the very least."
"Would such a collaboration interest you?"
Tabitha's tone throughout had been respectful, and actually quite subdued- at least compared to the poet's normal. <d> @Shiori Okita (Nora)
[8:03 PM] Shiori Okita (Nora): "Yes, I'm the proprietor here. I don't know how the other farms run their festival activities, but I remain present until the end of the night," they said with a small smile. "I don't drum, but I do perform Noh, and I like to be available to talk with customers."
They nodded, listening, familiar with making contracts such as these. "This is technically a smaller farm, of course, but I make sure we have a variety of crops throughout the year. Strawberries, watermelon, and pumpkin being the largest, of course, though I do grow other things each year. Next year's rotation will include honeydew, for instance. I would be happy to discuss a contract with you. I supply a few other farms, mostly in trade, but I have done restaurant contracts in the past."
Before they moved to this little corner of Kansas, at any rate. "What frequency would you be desiring? I only supply the other farms at final harvest, but I can of course make alternate arrangements for your café."
<d> @Tabitha Starr (Cyn)
[7:56 PM] Tabitha Starr (Cyn): When Shiori mentions performing Noh, the blonde gasps and claps her hands together softly. "Oh please, you must tell me when you will be performing again! I simply cannot miss such a glorious thing!" she breathed, as soon as the kami was finished speaking.
"Oh but I am getting distracted... please forgive me. I have not seen such a thing since I traveled overseas with my patron, some years ago. I adore the stories, and the artistry- but business."
Tabitha tapped her index finger on her lower lip a few times. "Jules likes to offer seasonal, spontaneous offerings, changing the menu often. Would something perhaps like an... assortment box delivered once a week during the growing seasons work?. Similar to how a CSA might work, but on a larger scale. I am not worried about him having enough of any one thing to provide it for a full week; it's more to provide him with inspiration. Much like giving a painter a new canvas and assortment of colors." She nodded, pleased with her analogy. "He would absolutely love the challenge presented by such a thing." <d> @Shiori Okita (Nora)
[9:43 PM] Shiori Okita (Nora): "Our final performance will be in... about an hour, I believe. You are, of course, welcome to stay, enjoy the festival, and wait. I quite recommend finding the amezaiku cart in the meanwhile. Jiro is quite skilled with the craft and makes a lovely performance of it, I think."
Shiori nodded, taking mental stock of the request. "A weekly box during growing seasons would be doable, I believe. We can do a trial perhaps these last weeks of autumn growing, and make adjustments for next year based on that?" they asked, considering. "That would provide adequate time to make arrangements for next year's harvests."
<d> @Tabitha Starr (Cyn)
[7:38 PM] Tabitha Starr (Cyn): "I think that would be perfectly amiable. Please, have whatever contracts you require sent along to the cafe, including how you might wish payment. I can have an auto-draft set up to your account each week without issue. Ohhhh this has been such an excellent evening!"
The blonde stood then, arms spread wide as she did a little turn, silks spinning around her. Her accompanying laugh of happiness held a musicality, and a subtle, accidental, power. It seemed she could only restrain her natural exuberance for life for so long. She ended the twirl with a low bow to the kami.
"Thank you ever so much. I am most excited about the local partnerships I am making." Tabitha smiled brightly, "I know I might not seem it, but business is as much a passion of mine as art. In the blood, you might say."
"I shall take your suggestions, and also stay for the performance."<d> @Shiori Okita (Nora)
[7:51 PM] Shiori Okita (Nora): Shiori nodded, amusement lingering on their lips. "I'll make sure Jiro gets a contract and other information to you. He's due in town this week for a supply run, I'm sure he can take care of it then." They offered a slight bow to the woman, taking careful note of the slight surge of magic and filing that away for later consideration.
In the blood, indeed.
"Ah, it looks as if I am needed elsewhere. Apologies, I should see to this. I do hope you enjoy the rest of your evening," the kami said with a smile, offering another bow before they began to walk away.
End Scene
Comments
Post a Comment